The home décor items include a sofa and its accessories as well. They are doubtlessly for the use of the residents but at the same time to offer elegance to the drawing room where they are kept. The visitors and guests first come to this area only and notice the condition of sofa upholstery which may create a good or bad impression depending on its conditions.
What is Upholstery?
The term upholstery can be defined as providing furniture, especially seats, sofas, couches with padding, webbing, springs, and fabric or leather covers. The term can be applied to furniture used in home, automobile, airplane, and boat.
Traditional upholstery uses materials like coil springs, animal (especially horse, hog, and cow) hair, coir, straw and hay, Hessians, linen scrims, wadding, etc. Traditional upholstery is mainly done by hand, building each layer up. Modern upholstery uses synthetic materials like Dacron and vinyl, serpentine springs, etc. An upholsterer is a person who works with Upholstery Cleaning Melbourne.
What is a sofa?
According to an eBay selling guide, the term “sofa” originates from the Arabic word “suffah.”
A sofa is a wooden bench usually covered in cushions and blankets and seats four or more people. Sofas are associated with hosting and formal occasions.
Materials needed for upholstery
The materials required for upholstery can be divided into:
- Covering Materials like fabric, vinyl, and leather, etc.
- Supplies like spring, twine, buttons, cotton, crinol, glue, clips, feather, rings, pins and nails
- Hardware like springs, nails, screws, brackets, etc.
- Paddings like cotton, polyfoam, latex foam and other paddings
Estimating the measure of the sofa
Using a tailor’s tape, metal tape, and a yardstick you can measure the sofa to calculate how much fabric will be needed. Underestimating may cause a significant problem, so the measurements need to be carefully done especially for fabric with medallions and designs centered on the back or seat of the sofa.
Steps to upholster a sofa
The following steps can be followed to upholster a sofa efficiently.
- Find the right sofa – Find a sofa that fits the décor of the room and upholsters the same to match the furniture of the room.
- Take pictures of the sofa – Before upholstery, it is important to have the pictures of the same. Pictures from various angles can be more useful at this stage.
- Take the sofa apart – Here you must remove the old cover as well as other parts that can help to take care of the upholstery as required.
- Inspect the cushions – You need to check the cushions and if they are set the additional filling of the material may be offered.
- Cut the new fabric – Here you need to be careful as the measurement has to be accurate.
- Sew the fabric – Get the fabric tailored as required by professional who has a quality
- Attach the fabric – You need to attach the fabric with the help of a staple gun.
- Attach the materials – Here you need to add some more new materials to the sofa.